Students drive the creation of a personalized learning experience based on their own passions and interests.
For over 20 years, Big Picture Learning has worked to put students at the center of their own learning.
The application to apply to attend LCE for the 2017-2018 school year is now available.
Leominster Center for Excellence is a small innovation high school in the Leominster Public Schools, and a Big Picture Learning School. We believe that students learn best when they engage in authentic, rigorous and important work, both in school and with adults in the community. In conjunction with their teacher-advisors and family members, each student designs an Individual Learning Plan focused on their interests and passions. These learning plans guide the academic expectations and personal growth goals for each student and serve to measure progress. Two days per week students work with a mentor in the community in an internship of their choosing where relevant, authentic projects and learning give them a sense of how their interests play out in the real world and help them prepare for college and career. We measure students’ progress and readiness for graduation by assessing the growth of skills in five learning domains, successful participation in key experiences, and demonstration of careful preparation for continued success after graduation from LCE.
Core Design Elements of LCE
- Real world learning, including internships and service learning experiences, where young people enter the professional world and create solutions to complex problems.
- Small class sizes where each student receives individual attention, is challenged at his/her own level, and is held accountable for work and actions.
- Respectful and strong relationships among students and staff
- Family/community partnerships that bring the outside world into the school, and the school into the outside world.
- We offer free support because we care about your site as much as you.
- Authentic assessments, where students are expected to rise to rigorous, real-world standards of work.